Sunday 23 December 2018

Christmas Meditation


“I held my breath
as we do
sometimes
to stop time
when something wonderful
has touched us.”

- from “Snow Geese”, by Mary Oliver


A Christmas meditation.

Occasionally, when I am blessed beyond measure, I become totally absorbed in photography and lose track of time. Photography is effortless. Images take over. Beauty is constant. Soul and camera merge. 

As I said, blessed beyond measure.

This happened recently on a photography outing to Prince Edward County. It was snowing lightly, dusting the countryside just enough to elegantly highlight contours and patterns. I kept holding my breath for fear of spoiling the moments. Scarlatti concertos on the car radio maintained the mood. 

The word ‘ethereal’ was created for times such as this.

The only comparison I can make is the time I have spent being transported by Andrew Wyeth’s mystical paintings. This link takes you to a meditative 25-minute overview of Wyeth’s paintings.  It helps communicate what I’m struggling to say. It is a healing balm, as is photography.

I hope you enjoy these photos. Please consider them my quiet Christmas gift to you.











No comments:

Post a Comment