Sunday 6 October 2019

Cloud's Illusions...



“...I’ve looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It’s cloud’s illusions I recall
I really don’t know clouds at all...”

- Joni Mitchell,
“Both Sides Now”

Husband Bill and I recently returned from a ten-day road-trip to Winnipeg, where Bill gave a series of presentations and classes at Keystone Quilts, an amazing store that caters to fabric lovers in Manitoba and beyond. In the weeks ahead, I plan to write about my experiences in Winnipeg and our travels through Northern Ontario on the way to/from Manitoba. 

Spoiler alert: my SONY camera loved this trip, to the tune of 1100 + photos! The combination of quirky Winnipeg and autumn-tinged Ontario was a photographer’s dream.

But for now....clouds.

On the last leg of our trip home, we drove along Highway 69 south of Parry Sound. The weather was unsettled, a combination of brilliant sunshine and furious rain storms. For about an hour, a fierce struggle took place over our heads as two competing weather systems battled it out for dominance. Both won. And the clouds were spectacular! 

All these 16:9 format images were photographed from inside our Mazda as it zipped along Highway 69. Photographing through a car’s windshield can be a challenge, especially when the camera wants to autofocus on the windshield rather than on what’s beyond, often highlighting the dirty windshield in the process. That didn’t happen this time, however – the clouds that roiled and broiled around us were amazingly co-operative, as was my camera. Thank you to all involved, including Bill, who was driving!

I hope you enjoy these photographs of the storm system that accompanied us for over an hour. In next week’s blog post, I plan to focus on Winnipeg’s eccentricities!


















No comments:

Post a Comment