Monday 27 June 2016

Those Magnificent Young Folks in Their Flying Machines!



Last weekend, the Quinte International Air Show (QIAS) roared to life at Canadian Forces Base Trenton. And what a great show it was! When I was a kid, my dad and I regularly attended these shows at CFB Trenton. Both of us loved nosing around the aircraft and watching the aerobatics. Returning to this year’s air show – the first since 2009 – brought back many warm memories. Along with about 80,000 other people, I had a great time. The weather was perfect, the logistics were superb, and the flying displays were breathtaking.

I have always loved just being around airplanes. Never, ever to be a pilot, but simply to admire the design and the engineering, and to marvel endlessly about the miracle of flight. For me, watching a plane take off is literally awesome. When a plane flies over, I always look up!

With my new camera in mind, I had spent way too much money for the QIAS ‘Experience’, which allowed me to park on the base, enjoy a special preview of the show on Friday afternoon, and have access to a special viewing area directly across from where the Snowbird aerobatic team was parked. In other words, airplane heaven. Over my two days at the show, I took over 1,000 photos.

The photos I’ve posted below are not so much about entire airplanes, but more about the quirky design elements, the odd details, and the unusual bits that caught my eye. For more conventional photos of the aircraft, please check out my Facebook page.


Until next time – and I’m not exactly sure when that will be. I’m heading off to a weeklong workshop in contemplative photography in Minnesota at the annual Quaker Gathering. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy these images!






















No comments:

Post a Comment