Monday 15 May 2017

Abstractions




“Abstraction demands more from me than realism.
Instead of reproducing something outside of me,
now I go inward and use everything I’ve learned
thus far in my life.”
- Susan Avishai, Canadian Artist

“The abstraction is often the most definite form for the
 intangible thing in myself that I can clarify in paint.”
- Georgia O’Keefe, American Artist

Abstract photography has become an important part of my practice. By focusing on a telling detail, dissociated from its larger reality, I find a freedom and visual joy that is not always present in my landscape or portrait photography. Besides which, it’s great fun zeroing in on a bizarre or beautiful bit of something without having to contextualize it. As my dear husband would say, “Woohoo!”

Which leads me to the abstract photography workshop I recently took at Fleming College in Cobourg. Professional photographer Cindy Taylor (link) skilfully took her six students on a journey through the theory and practice of abstract photography, culminating in a luxurious two-hour photo opportunity at Cobourg’s incredible Legacy Vintage Building Materials. (link) What an amazing store! An absolute dream for photographers.

With the exception of one photo, all the photos that follow come from that photo session. Not all of the images are fully abstract, but they are mile posts on the journey. The only photo that doesn’t come from the workshop is the yellow pillar, which I found hiding in the basement of Bridge Street United Church on Sunday.

I hope you enjoy the images. As always, I welcome your feedback.











































1 comment:

  1. Love them all. Enjoy the textures and patina of the old stuff you recorded. Especially like the last one; pure and serene. Takes me to some of Lawren Harris' abstract work.

    ReplyDelete