Saturday 12 January 2019

The Textures of Life...



“I search for the realness, the real feeling of a subject, 
all the texture around it...
I always want to see the third dimension of something...
I want to come alive with the object.”

- Andrew Wyeth, Artist (1917-2009)

For the second time recently, I’m returning to the American artist Andrew Wyeth for inspiration. One of the elements of Wyeth’s paintings that I admire most is his use of earthy texture to convey a tactile sense of reality. This grittiness reinforces Wyeth’s narratives and draws me into his paintings. I experience the fecund earth, the dried leaves, the peeled paint – even the pungent aroma of hounds. Wyeth’s paintings are powerfully multi-sensory and evocative.

It is that evocative quality that I strive to reflect in my photos – a literal sense of place, complete with smells, sounds, tastes, and textures. For me, a photograph is never ‘just’ a visual experience; it runs the gamut of our senses and has more than one portal to our souls. 

With that thought as context, I offer you the following images, all made within the last month. With the exception of the sculptured case of my external computer drive, the photos come from Prince Edward County, mostly from a Sunday afternoon visit to Point Petre with Bill. For me, these photos have a multi-sensory quality to them. 

I hope you enjoy them - at whatever level appeals to you!

Point Petre #1

Point Petre #2

Point Petre #3

Point Petre #4

Point Petre #5

Top of External Computer Drive

Painted Seat, Carbon Art and Design, Picton

Wood Panel Outside Carbon Art and Design, Picton

Silhouette, House of Falconer Art Studio, Picton

Point Petre #6
Bill standing by his favourite tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment