Sunday 1 September 2019

Harvesting Photographs, Part Two


  “If you are too lazy to plow, don’t expect a harvest.”
- Book of Proverbs, Chapter 20, Verse 4
(Contemporary English Version of the Bible)

As promised last week, today’s blog post is Part Two of my exploration of harvesting photographs. I love this concept, especially the careful tending and nurturing of images that the term implies. It certainly enhances the mutuality and reciprocity of photography. The subject and the photographer are equally important in the creation of the image. The heroic, ‘go-it-alone’ photographer – with ego to match – is not likely comfortable with harvesting photographs. Instead, harvesting is a more nuanced and gentle approach. And I love it. I’m still exploring what it means – which is another way of saying that I don’t fully understand it. Watch for further updates!

I made this series of photos at the Hastings County Plowing Match and Farm Show, held recently in the central part of beautiful Hastings County. Although I grew up on a farm and heard lots of talks about plowing matches as a kid, I had never attended one until last week. And what great fun it was! Beautiful weather, excellent organization, friendly people, lots of interesting displays, and – of course – plowing. A fine opportunity for my camera to explore – truly, a harvest of photographs. 

I hope you enjoy these ten photos from the Hastings County Plowing Match. Next week, I plan to discuss a new trend in photography: “Object Oriented Ontology”. Intrigued? Puzzled? Me too! Stay tuned...

As always, thank you for reading my blog.

Two of Hastings County's Finest Ambassadors!
Luisa Sorrentino, Marketing Co-ordinator (left)
Kasey Rogerson, Tourism Development Co-ordinator (right)














No comments:

Post a Comment